The power of the canoe
“What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.” – Pierre Trudeau
At Voyageur Quest we are passionate about the ability of the canoe to connect us to nature, to our past as Canadians, to ourselves, and to each other. Designed and paddled by Indigenous peoples, the best canoes in Canada were the birchbark canoes. These canoes were made by the Algonquin people as an essential part of life and work. Algonquin Park, VQ’s home, is named after the Algonquin people. Therefore we honour the deep tradition of navigating the park’s waterways by canoe.
Paddling in Algonquin Park has taught us to love and protect our surroundings. As a result, the canoe has allowed VQ to find a sustainable and more authentic way of living. Paddling in a canoe can also encourage quiet reflection and can teach us resiliency in the face of challenges. By immersing ourselves in the canoe journey, we can let go of material baggage in order to enjoy the moment and each other. Most importantly, paddling is a ton of fun! We are proud of our role in facilitating this experience for others, introducing new generations to the uniquely Canadian power of the canoe.
VQ is excited to be partnering with the Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation this year to celebrate canoe culture and encourage more people to paddle! The documentary by Goh Iromoto created for this campaign illustrates the ways in which the canoe creates connections to things that are more than us. The canoe tells the stories of Canadians. It symbolizes a place where the many Canadian identities can meet to celebrate the natural beauty of Canada. The canoe is Canada’s gift to the world. #paddleON
We make the canoe accessible! Be you first-timers or old explorers, let us help you plan your classic Canadian adventure.
- Learn more about Algonquin park and the Canadian canoe culture campaign.
- First-time visitor? We’ve got you covered in a three day all-included guided canoe trip.
- Want to do your own thing? You can personalize the canoe trip of your dreams.
- Not ready for camping? You can still explore our beautiful park by canoe while using our rustic log cabin as home base.
- Try a bit of both with our award-winning signature Canadian experience.
- Ready to forge out on your own? Our outfitter can hook you up with everything you need in a complete outfitting package, or pick what you need yourself.
- Any questions? Email us at email@example.com or call us at 416.486.3605 (or toll-free at 1.800.794.9660).